The First-Year Teachers Survival Guide: Ready-To-Use Strategies, Tools & Activities for Meeting the Challenges of Each School Day by Julia G. ThompsonThe best-selling First Year Teachers Survival Kit gives new teachers a wide variety of tested strategies, activities, and tools for creating a positive and dynamic learning environment while meeting the challenges of each school day. Packed with valuable tips, the book helps new teachers with everything from becoming effective team players and connecting with students to handling behavior problems and working within diverse classrooms.
The new edition is fully revised and updated to cover changes in the K-12 classroom over the past five years. Updates to the second edition include:
- New ways teachers can meet the professional development requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act
- Entirely new section on helping struggling readers, to address the declining literacy rate among todays students
- Expanded coverage of helpful technology solutions for the classroom
- Expanded information on teaching English Language Learners
- Greater coverage of the issues/challenges facing elementary teachers
- More emphasis on how to reach and teach students of poverty
- Updated study techniques that have proven successful with at-risk students
- Tips on working effectively within a non-traditional school year schedule
- The latest strategies for using graphic organizers
- More emphasis on setting goals to help students to succeed
- More information on intervening with students who are capable but choose not to work
- Updated information on teachers rights and responsibilities regarding discipline issues
- Fully revised Resources appendix including the latest educational Web sites and software
Lena & Ethan~Gravity (Beautiful Creatures)
Beautiful Creatures is a American romantic gothic fantasy film based upon the novel of the same name by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. The film was released February 14, It received mixed reviews from critics  and was a failure at the box office. In Gatlin, South Carolina , teenager Ethan Wate awakens from a recurring dream of a girl he does not know. In voice-over narration, he describes his enjoyment of reading banned books , his despair of his small-town existence, and his dreams of leaving Gatlin for college. Arriving for his first day of junior year, Ethan notices newcomer Lena Duchannes, who resembles the girl he has been dreaming about. The other students do not take kindly to her and spread gossip regarding Lena's reclusive uncle, Macon Ravenwood, and suggest that her family includes devil worshippers.
Beautiful Creatures is an American young adult novel written by authors Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl and the first book in the Caster Chronicles series. The book was published on December 1, , by Little, Brown, and Company. On January 3, , a new edition of the novel was published, featuring images from the movie on the cover. The book was written in 12 weeks, inspired by a dare a bet with 7 kids the authors knew and was never intended to be published. Ethan dreams of escaping after high school to the farthest college away he can get to. Though Ethan does have the company of his housekeeper Amma, who had been there to raise his dad when he was growing up. Amma has the gift of foresight, and she is in some ways the town considers her the modern day witch.
Lena Duchannes is one of the two main protagonist of The Caster Chronicles series. She is Ethan Wate 's love interest in the first novel of the series, eventually becoming his girlfriend. Throughout the series, she maintains a rocky relationship with him, but the two always manage to overcome whatever obstacles come in their way. She was born a Caster , a powerful being with supernatural abilities and strong powers. She is a Natural , an extremely rare type of Caster who is far more powerful and stronger than regular Casters are, also having additional powers that can be different for any Natural. After she was Claimed, she became half- Cataclyst.